Monday, December 26, 2011

Are you Open? The Door is Unlocked




Have you ever been ready for breakfast or early lunch about 10:00 in the morning? Well a friend and I were last Monday. So we stop at a favorite lunch spot, parking lot has a car or two some of the neon lights are on "let's try" we decide. The instant we open the door "We don't open until eleven." Response "oh ok thanks". Conversation in the car themed wouldn't you go ahead and sell a beer and ask us to wait until the kitchen opens I mean the door is unlocked.  Game on!   Next place down the street. Door is unlocked several employees behind the bar. We are instantly greeted with "we don't open until 11:00". We respond the same and keep heading down the road. The clock now reads 10:40 the next place looks like the others, some of the neon on cars in the parking lot. Door is unlocked we are greeted by a server who says "sorry we don't open until eleven". We are bold this time responding "Could we just have a beer at the bar and wait for the kitchen to open?"  Server girl: "Sorry the bartender is running late."  Whew. Now we are thirsty and head to the next place and low and behold they open at 10:00 no problem. Beer and lunch no fuss.

I don't understand why not be a little bit more accommodating if the door is open. I'm in the business and if I have the door open I try to make guest as comfortable as possible until I'm really open. I also rarely leave the door open if  I'm not ready if I do it's by accident. I think it's amazing  we hit 3 places in a row.

Another peeve recently experienced. We were recently sitting in a restaurant and bar about 8:00pm the bartender/server asks if we mind if she vacuums. I HATE VACUUMING when I'm trying to relax with a cocktail, a cigarette and a friend. Of course we politely say yes. Wrong I still regret not saying we will leave so you can run a load obnoxious piece of cleaning equipment. This has happen to me before not fun.

4 comments:

A-Gran said...

Oh, this is a good rant. First of all, what kind of restaurants are they running up there? I've had people bang on the fucking door when it was locked and the manager lets them in and we serve them. Why are the doors unlocked if they're not ready to serve? That's stupid and it makes them look unaccomodating. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back there.

Secondly, I hate the vacuuming thing too and again have never worked anywhere they allow you to vacuum while guests are there. I HAVE hokied next to tables before but I always ask first and try to be unobtrusive because all it takes is one complaint to the manager and now you have to wait until the restaurant clears out to do that. If I went to someone's home and they began to vacuum while I was dining I would assume they wanted me to leave. To me, customers are dining in my "home" and I try to be a good host who makes them feel welcome. Vacuuming around them is tacky and rude. And yes, I have told servers before that I mind if they vacuum around me. I'm never there when the restaurant closes so there's no real need to pull out the vacuum.

Frimmy said...

Hokied is more lingo, right?

I would be totally pissed if someone was vacuuming and cleaning around me at a restaurant while I was eating. One of my BIL's vacuums under you and around you when you're at their place for dinner. When my whole family is there, we sit on the floor in the living room and visit and so on. It's informal. But it's like he can't stand the mess so has to clean it up while we're making it. I remember lifting my plate so he could wash under it a few times. Also, he doesn't eat when we eat. It's too early. So all he has to do with his time while we're eating is clean. He's OCD. We've learned to tune it out.

Copacetic Daisy said...

Yes we let the hokie come out but not at break neck speed. Even adults can eat like children. We even deploy a crummer at times.

All I know is others lack of customer service makes us look even more awesome than we already are...

MuserMommy said...

Liquid lunch! When I worked at a manufacturing plant in the office it was very popular among the guys on the floor. I personally have nothing against it I could just never be expected to work after it.