Friday, September 23, 2011

Can't Put it Down


I'm reading this good book. I know it is now a movie but I want to read the book first. My friend has the opposite opinion about good books that become movies. She likes to see the movie first then the book isn't a disappointment because so often the book is better than the movie. I don't understand this reasoning at all. That would just ruin it for me knowing how a good book ends before I read it. I'm not going to say anything about the book until I finish it. When I do I will spoil alert the post.

On that topic the movie verses the book. I think often times the book is better due to character development that could be difficult to get done in two hours or the amount of detail. Lord of the Rings trilogy for instance or Harry Potter series those movies would go on forever and be too long if they covered all the details. In those instances the producers, directors and screen writers did a pretty good job. I mean I did miss one interaction along the journey with one creature but it didn't make the movie bad. I just knew it was missing.

What is your preference? Do you like to read the book first or would you rather catch the movie then read the story?

4 comments:

Frimmy said...

I like to read the book first. If I like the book enough I won't even go see the movie. Often the movies do not follow the book. It's a rare thing when I walk out of a movie saying it was just as good as the book. The Harry Potter series is a good example of that. They did a really good job capturing that world for the movie.

Angie said...

I read the book first, for sure. I like having the first hand knowledge of what fills in the missing pieces that are ALWAYS in a book turned movie.

MuserMommy said...

For me I just can't stand to watch the movie after the book. They never seem to do it justice. I couldn't bring myself to watch The Sum of All Fears for that very reason. I am such a big Clancy fan and I know they killed that book. The only exception I have ever run across is Lost World by Michael Crichton. The book sucks and the movie was a big improvement. Only time I can say that.

iambriezy said...

Book before movie, every time. I agree with you and Frimmy about Harry Potter. I think that's the only time I wasn't disappointed. I have 'The Help', ready to read but haven't made the time. Since I quit smoking, I've been terrible about reading books. Time to get back to it.